Sprinkles! {diy custom colors}

Sprinkles

I LOVE sprinkles.   They can make an ordinary cake or cupcake instantly extraordinary.  I am pretty liberal with my sprinkles too… you only live once right?    Sometimes I have been a little disappointed in the usual selection of sprinkles that I find in my local grocery store.  A lot of times I want a specific color that I can’t find.  I discovered something amazing one day when I was decorating this Princess Castle Cake I posted about a year ago.  Did you know that you can color your own?  Believe it or not you can and it’s easily done with just some white sprinkles and food coloring!

Sprinkles! {diy custom colors}

What you need:

White sprinkles either nonpareils, jimmies or pearls  (I have tried all of these kinds, but you can try others at your own risk)

food coloring/ colorings or choice: powdered, liquid or gel

sprinkles 6

I have a wide assortment of food colors since I bake a lot, but any food color will work.  Gel, powdered, or liquid- it doesn’t matter.  I wondered if the liquid would melt the sprinkles, but it never has for me.  I made some red ones last year using this method and had to use a large amount of food coloring (about 5 or 6 drops) and it never melted them and the color never came off.   This really is a great method!

sprinkles 7

Since I was making 6 colors I used 2 containers of sprinkles separated into 6 bags.  I used gel food colors as well as liquid food colors.  For the gel colors I just placed a little bit on the end of a toothpick and rubbed it on the inside of the bag where the sprinkles touched it.  For the liquid colors I just squeezed a drop (or two) if needed right on the sprinkles.

sprinkles 5

This next part is fun for kids too.  Just close up the bag and shake it and smoosh it around until the color is thoroughly mixed in.  If you want the color darker just add more coloring.  So easy!

Sprinkles 3

I adore these pastel colors.  SO pretty.  Perfect for spring baking or Easter!

Sprinkles 4

I even mixed them together for custom multi-colored sprinkles!

Sprinkles 2

I used small mason jars to store mine, but you can just store them in the ziploc bags if you want!   So easy and FUN!!!

What colors or color combos would you like to make?

Like this post? Get more like it in your inbox free!

Comments

What an AWESOME idea!!!!! I love sprinkles too and often don’t really like the colors they have in the stores, or wish there was a color that they sold that I need. Love the colors you came up with!! Thanks so much for sharing this, I’ll definitely do this too now! You have such great ideas!

• says

Thanks, Maria! I took a chance when making that cake last year and couldn’t believe that it worked! I tried it over and over again and it hasn’t failed me yet! Thanks for stopping by!

• says

thanks! yep… and when I do find prettier colors… they are much more expensive usually. Like the kinds I can only get at Hobby Lobby.

• says

it should work. I’ve never had them bleed or come off on my hands… so baking them shouldn’t matter. Tell me how it goes if you try it out.

Those are so impressive! I absolutely love them and will be buying a huge bag of plain white sprinkles to customize! Thank you so much for the wonderful idea. :)

of course like your web-site however you need to check the spelling on
    several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling issues and I find it very troublesome to inform the truth then again I will certainly come back again.

1. [...] I am officially ready for springtime weather!  I do have to admit that I love the snow that we have had recently, but the cold I do not enjoy as much.  I made these cupcakes last summer for my daughter’s birthday and they were so fun!  I am already thinking of making them again.  They would remind me of warmer days!   I saw these first from Martha Stewart, but I made a few adjustments by using bigger cupcake liners, air heads for the green leaves and custom colored sprinkles! [...]

2. […] If you can’t find the color you need, why not make your own sprinkles by color! I saw that the store also carries powdered food coloring (colorante in polvere) and here are three easy diy tutorials on making your own custom colored sprinkles: 1. Custom-colored Sprinkles with powder coloring 2. Color your own Sprinkles with gel coloring 3. Sprinkles DIY custom-colors […]