A couple of friends were coming over the other night and I wanted to bake up something special for the occasion. I’ve had Valentine’s on my mind recently so Red Velvet Brownies popped in my head. I thought it would be a fun twist on the usual Red Velvet Cake. Little did I know how wonderful they would turn out.
Red Velvet Brownies!
WOW!!! Since they are brownies they have more chocolate than the cake variety! They are also much more moist. This is my new favorite dessert for sure.
4 oz. of bittersweet chocolate.
1 Tbsp. of Lorann Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion. I found this at Hobby Lobby and wanted to try it out. It was great. It really added a nice color and flavor to the cake.
The chocolate is mixed with butter and then melted in the microwave.
Butter and chocolate… yum!
Then everything else is mixed in.
Then the Red Velvet Emulsion…. It’s looking yummy!
While baking the cake I made these white chocolate curls. I made the mistake of melting half the bar of chocolate in the microwave. It never hardened which was because the microwave doesn’t temper very well… so I had to use the rest for the curls. It worked out, but next time I will not be melting first. I made the curls just fine using a veggie peeler and the white chocolate bar.
Then I mixed up some cream cheese icing. Simple, but SO delicious!
It doesn’t get much better than this. It was the perfect treat to serve up while my friends and I chatted the night away.
This is heavily adapted from Southern Living 2010
- 1 (4-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- ¾ cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. Lorann Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (use ¼ tsp. if using table salt)
- 3 Tbsp. Sour Cream (this is in lieu of buttermilk)
- Small-Batch Cream Cheese Frosting (see notes)
- Garnish optional: white chocolate curls
- (the original recipe calls for a 9×9 pan, but I used a 9×13 pan). Grease a 9×13 inch pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix butter and chocolate in a microwave safe dish and heat on high for 1 minute or until melted. Stir well. Cream the sugar and eggs together in a separate bowl and add them to the warm chocolate mixture whipping it in very slowly to make sure the eggs don’t curdle. Mix well and then add the rest of the ingredients for the brownies. Bake for 35-40 minutes if using a 9×13 pan and 45-50 minutes if using a 9×9 pan OR until a wooden toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool down before topping with the cream cheese frosting and white chocolate curls. Cut into 16 even squares to serve. Enjoy!