diy Hand Stamped Jewelry!

necklace

I’ve been a fan of hand-stamped jewelry for a long time now.   I think it’s such a beautiful way to display names or initials of loved ones.   I wanted to give something special to my mother in law this year, and knew exactly what I wanted to make.   To be honest… I was a little nervous trying to do this on my own, but a trip to Hobby Lobby made it very easy for me!  They had everything that I needed and even a few tips!

DIY Hand-Stamped Jewelry 2

I grabbed a set of steel letter stamps.  I found these in the jewelry making section.  I picked a fun font (angelina), but they had several to choose from. I used a 40% off coupon too!  The initial cost is a little expensive if you are just planning on making one necklace, but if you use the stamps for more than one it will pay for itself!   I also bought a steel block, some small metal blanks (mine already had links on them) and also some masking tape.

DIY Hand-Stamped Jewelry 1

Since I am just starting out with stamping metal… I am only doing initials here.  As I get more experience I will show you how to make whole words and such, but the simple initial… was so easy!  I just laid the small metal blank on the steel pad (which had a towel under it) and taped it down.  I made sure that the part I was stamping was exposed.

DIY Hand-Stamped Jewelry 3

Next I took the stamp I wanted to use and carefully placed it on top of the metal blank.  With a hammer and a steady hand I pounded the stamp 2 times per letter.  You may be able to get away with one pound of the hammer, but mine needed two to get a good impression.  Just make sure not to lift the stamp up at all until you are done hammering.   Once the impressions are made use a sharpie or other black permanent marker to mark inside the letter.  Rub off the excess ink with a damp paper towel.  String the stamped jewelry on a chain and add a charm if you want.

It came out beautiful and my MIL loved it!

DIY Hand-Stamped Jewelry

~I am writing this post in honor of my favorite hobby store: Hobby Lobby.  I fully support their efforts to fight for freedom.~

Comments

Rachel,
    This is my next investment for my jewelry making arsenal. I’ve so wanted to give this a try for some time too. The necklace is lovely and I’m sure your MIL loved it and will cherish for many years!! Happy New Year!!
    Smiles :) Lisa

2. Gayle S says

I too have wanted to try this and I believe this will be my next project. I too fully support Hobby Lobby standing their ground for what is right!!!

I have also started to try this but haven’t been successful. What mm and inch of stamps are you using. Ex 3mm/ 1/8 in! I also totally support hobby lobby! That’s for this tutorial.

• says

TThe metal blanks are 10mm and the stamps are 3mm 1/8″ I have only been doing initials except for one word that I have done which wasn’t great, but it was acceptable.

4. Jen says

This is great! I think I’ll be making some of these for Mother’s day gift for my sister. Love it!
    Thanks for sharing. And I love Hobby Lobby too! I support their stores whenever I can.

It’s so beautiful, Rachel. I’ve been thinking about making a trip to the craft store; this gives me so many ideas and kinda makes me less afraid to try it.

6. Mimi Hanna says

I have tried this and really enjoy it…have even put names on blanks and applied to small boxes….I use blanks with no holes…am a strong supporter of Hobby Lobby…I hope they get more customers than they can handle!

I have always wanted to try doing hand stamping. Might have to go on my list for later this year! We don’t have a Hobby Lobby (here insert sad face) but, maybe a kit online may have to be found. Yours turned out really cute!!

8. Natalie says

I have been coveting these necklaces from the Vintage Pearl for months. Now I am going to make my own for myself and all my friends and family!

9. Brooke BB says

Thanks for the tutorial! I bought some metal stamps a while back and have had a hard time finding blank charms to stamp. I forgot to check hobby lobby though. I’m happy to support this great store too!

I have read so many articles on the topic of the blogger lovers however this post is genuinely a nice piece of writing, keep it up.