Mushrooms. It seems that you either love them… or hate them. I am in the love them category. I love them baked, fried, sauteed, fresh on a salad, on a pizza and obviously… in soup! This Creamy Button and Bella Mushroom soup combines two types of mushrooms with a little thyme in a milk/ cream base. It’s really wonderful… well… unless you aren’t a mushroom fan.
I suppose that you could add any mushroom variety to this soup, but I chose buttons and portabellas. They both have a great mushroom flavor, but they don’t overpower the soup!
I just love this soup. It’s especially good with White Cheddar French Bread croutons… mmm!
There is nothing like a good bowl of Creamy Mushroom Soup!
- 8 oz. sliced White Button Mushrooms
- 8 oz. sliced Portabella Mushrooms or Baby Portabella mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 small onion chopped
- butter or oil spray
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. thyme
- (salt and pepper to taste)
- White Cheddar French Bread Croutons (Rothbury Farms)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Start by melting 1 Tbsp. of butter in a skillet or saute pan (you can also just spray with oil) on medium heat. Add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add mushrooms to the onion and saute until they have given up most of their water. Add garlic near the end of cooking the mushrooms. Meanwhile combine the broth and milk in a pan on medium-low heat. Add the sauteed mushrooms and onions to the broth mixture. Add thyme and cook until the soup is just boiling and bring down the heat to a simmer. Add the cream and cook another 3-5 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and add a few croutons and a little Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!