Hot Cocoa Mix Ornaments!

This post has affiliate links.

I just love simple homemade Christmas gifts like these Hot Cocoa Mix Ornaments (instructions below)!  I’ve seen similar ideas on the web and fell in love with the idea.  These are such a cute way to gift someone with a little love this season.  They are so easy and frugal that you can make them for everyone on your list!    There are also SO many different hot cocoa varieties and you can even make your own mix.  The best part is that when the hot chocolate is used up then the recipients are left with a pretty little ornament.  It’s like 2 gifts in one!

I decided that I wanted to make several varieties.  Not everyone I know loves chocolate, so there is the wonderful white chocolate version!  yummy!   The options are really endless… just be creative!

You can gift them in many ways.  Gift the ornament by itself or along with a mug and some kind of dipped spoon or candy cane!

Ahh.  Nothing like Hot Cocoa on a winter day!

Here is how you can make your own:

Hot Cocoa Mix Ornaments!

Author:
Ingredients
  • 1 single serving package instant hot chocolate mix in the flavor of your choice... all of the varieties I used are premade from various brands
  • 1 clear plastic fillable ornament- I suggest finding one that is food safe
  • Sprinkles
  • chocolate chips (or white chocolate chips/ mint chips etc.)
  • Jet-Puffed Mallow Bits (Kraft Brand- usually can be found by hot chocolate mixes)
  • tag or note on how to make the hot chocolate (mix with 8 oz. hot water)
  • mug is optional
  • candy cane or chocolate spoon is also optional
Instructions
  1. Start with a clean ornament and take the top off. Fill each ingredient into the ornament using a funnel. Start with the hot cocoa mix, then sprinkles, then chocolates and then the mallow bits. Put top back on. You will need to deliver these standing upright or wrap the top with plastic wrap to keep contents inside. It's ready to go. Just gift it alone or with the other items recommended! Easy and fun!
31LgvNoGTRL
I used ornaments from Walmart that are similar from the ones above.  I checked into these ornaments and they say that you can put candy in them so they should be okay for Hot Cocoa Mix, but use at your own risk.  You can find these Disk Ornaments here! (affiliate link)

Join our free mailing list and never miss a post.

Comments

• Maryam says

Hey this is such an awesome idea! i’m thinking of trying it out but for my sister’s birthday(:
        can I just ask where you got your baubles from? thanks

Oh my gosh, this is great! Man, I wish I would’ve found these before I made ones for an ornament swap I did a few weeks ago. I know what I’m giving as little gifts to my coworkers! Thanks for sharing.

• Britt says

Hey, I absolutely love this idea. Such a nice touch putting the mixes in ornaments. And it’s an inexpensive gift! I’m so doing this for my co-workers. Where did you purchase the ornaments?

This is such a darling idea!
    I wondered what white hot chocolate mix you used? I have been trying to find one.
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea!
    Cerri

Did you find that the top stayed on or did you have to glue it so that they would hang on the branch? Just wondering if the weight of the contents will be too heavy for the ornament?

4. Reannon says

I don’t see instructions on how to make the different varieties. I have clicked just about everywhere possible. Is there a broken link perhaps? I love this idea and cannot wait to try it! Thank you for sharing!

• Lila says

i can’t find the recipe anywhere…..am i missing something?? It is so cute and i’d love to make lots of these!!!

• Linda Gonzalez says

Hi I didn’t see the recipe for the white hot chocolate or the dark hot chocolate. Is it possible to get those recipes as well?

thanks

• says

I used premade hot chocolate mixes. The brand I used for the white hot chocolate was Land O Lakes. Hope that helps. I just used hot chocolate mix in the varieties I could find plus sprinkles and chocolate chips.

• Rachel says

Hi Reannon. I just fixed the recipe… looks like it wasn’t showing up there for a while. Let me know if you can see it now! Thanks!

• Reannon says

Thank you so much. I do see it now and I made a bunch of these tonight! I cannot wait to give them out to my coworkers on Monday.

5. Diane Herr says

Thanks so much for the idea wish I saw this last month when doing ornament favors for a wedding. These will be a great christmas gift.

6. Renee says

What a fantastic idea, I can’t wait to make these!
    I have a question, I went to Walmart to purchase the fillable ornaments and they had 2 sizes. Were the ones you used the larger or smaller ornaments?

• Rachel says

They were the ones that are flat on two sides… so they are not completely round. I didn’t see the different sizes, but i did see different shapes. Sorry I am not much help there! If you get the ball shape then i would go small. Thanks!

• Renee says

Thanks! I did get the ones that are flat on each side, they came in 2 sizes but the smaller ones turned out to be perfect size. I was lucky enough to get the amount I needed, these are a very popular item. Looking forward to making these with my 8 yr old daughter and giving these as gifts to her classmates!

• Rachel says

Great! I am so glad that you found them! I will have to remember they are the smaller ones at Walmart. When I went they didn’t have them in different sizes! Hope the class enjoys them!

Such a cute gift idea; I love these! I’ve been seeing these ornaments at Michaels, and I so need to pick some up this week. Thanks so much for linking up to Inspire Me Wednesday, Rachel!

8. Jess D. says

We made these for teacher gifts. I got the hot cocoa with the marshmellows already in it from walmart, then from the dollar tree the soft peppermint candies, and snow caps. Then the ornaments from michaels .50 each of the plastic round clear ornaments. They also have th big ones for 50% as well currently .79 cents each. Then I went to A.C. Moore (because I was originally looking for the ornaments) they have the scrapbooking christmas rub ons for .25 EACH! normally 1.00 each. I got 4 packages of those and I put them no the outside of the ornaments so they can wash out and reuse the ornament as a ornament. I took a silver sharpie and wrote the teachers names on them too. came out sooooo cute. My son is taking them to school tomorrow.

9. Debra Ruffing says

Rachel these ornaments are not food safe. In order for this to be safe for food you would have to use a food safe container or you would have to wrap all the food safely in bags. Love your blog!

Debra

• says

Thanks, I will make note of that on here. I really didn’t think of that, but it’s a good point. I think the ones from Hobby Lobby are food safe.

• Jamie says

I just wanted to know why they are not food safe? How would I know if the ones I got at food safe or not??

10. Dawn says

I just found this and want to make them for place settings this year at Thanksgiving. (most of the family cuts down trees & puts them up first week of Dec). Do you have any idea how long these will “stay” or does time have nothing to do with it? Would like to start making them now so they’re all ready. Thanks a bunch. My niece & nephews will LOVE these!!

• says

The recipe is located at the bottom. I just used pre-made hot chocolate mixes in different varieties with chocolate chips and sprinkles in different colors. Hope that helps!

11. Jan says

Hi Im in canada! Im trying to make some christmas cash and I love to make things homemade, these are wonderful! If you were going to sell them what price would you charge?? Thanks!

12. Amy W says

Do you wash the ornaments before you add the hot choc? If so, how do you wash and dry them? thanks for the tips

• says

I do wash them. Warm water and dish soap and you can shake it inside or use a very small brush to scrub with. Then rinse out a couple of times and dry them with the top down. Mine have always dried just fine.

13. Kayla says

Hello!

I love this idea and I’m going to make some for family and friends this Christmas. Just a quick, possibly silly sounding, question. What kind of sprinkles did you use? I’m in the UK so was wondering what would be suitable!

Thank you! X

I absolutely loved this idea!!!! It is definitely a different way to make a hot chocolate kit! I can’t wait to try it this holiday. I featured this on my blog for my hot chocolate kit post with a link here to get full directions because it is such a great idea!