Thrifty Thursday: Sand and Sea Shoes (Goodwill to Anthropologie Refashion)

Nautical stripes mix perfectly with leather the hue of sand.  These shoes cost me a total of $3.00!  I found them at Goodwill and knew they would make a perfect refashion.  You can make these into any color scheme you wish… my inspiration was the “Sloan Square Heels” from Anthropologie.
These shoes would set you back $98.00 at Anthropologie… see how I made my own “knock off” version for under $10.00!
Sand and Sea Shoes
What you will need:
Leather Flats or Heels (mine I found at Goodwill for $3.00!)  They need to be pretty good quality
1/4 yard of striped fabric (or really any fabric you like- I used fabric from an old pillow)  If you buy new it might cost between $1.00- $3.00 depending on the fabric.  Hobby Lobby has another 40% off coupon this week!!!
Fabric for the inside if you want to recover the inside (I used a baby lap pad for this) cost about $1.00 or free if you reuse fabric.  You won’t need much to cover the inside.
Mod Podge
Hot Glue
Total Cost:  $3.00- $7.00

savings over $90.00!!!!

Directions:
 As you can see from the pic below these shoes were not the best looking on the block.  Neither were the scraps of fabric I saved from an old pillow.  I bought the shoes from Goodwill- although they looked used I could tell that they were well taken care of.  There were only a few small spots on the outside. Perfect for a re-fashion.
One of my pet peeves is when a shoe shows my toe cleavage. LOL… you see I have long toes and you can see them!!! Annoys me!!!  I had to make sure I picked something that would cover up my toes… they are modest toes! :)
First things first though… I also have a sort of complex about wearing pre-used shoes… I am sure that these would be just fine the way they were, but I decided to cover up the insole.  You can skip this part if you want, but I like how it made them “feel” brand new!  Just take some fabric (think non-fraying) and trace the outside of the shoe and cut it out a little smaller than your line.
It should fit… cut more out as needed.
Once you are finished cutting put a layer of Mod Podge on the inside of shoe then insert your new insole on top of the Mod Podge.
Next take your fabric and cut out about 6 strips 2  inches wide and 12 inches long.  Sew the outsides so they will not fray.
Take the fabric you just sewed and place it over shoe where you want it to lay.  With your finger nail make an indention in the fabric where you will cut it.  Cut a little bit wider than the indention so you will have enough fabric to work with.
Once you have it cut out apply a layer of Mod Podge to the backside.  Then wrap it around in place.
Once it is in place start pushing the excess into the sole of the shoe like so:
Wait for it to dry (about 30mins) and then hand stitch a few gathers on the top.

Now take your other strips of fabric and cut them in half… then fold them like this and sew… You will have 2 of these per shoe.
Sew them in sets of two together.  Then hand stitch some gathers.
With the last strips cut in half and make 2 knots…
(one for each shoe)
Now sew the knot over the bow and hand stitch them under the other side.  Now glue your bow to the fabric on the shoe… Now you are finished!!!
Now all that is left is for you to walk around in your pretty little shoes!!!
Happy Creating!

As seen on:

I am linking up here:
Show and Tell GreengiveawaysA Crafty Soiree

Comments

1. Taylor {Sew Much Love} says

I totally have weirdness about wearing preworn shoes too but that's genius to mod podge the inside! I LOVE the way they turned out!

2. Pati @ A Crafty Escape says

I am very impressed and happy to hear that I'm not the only one against "toe cleavage" :)

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

3. Alison says

very cute indeed! just visiting from 'yesterday on tuesday' and had to comment. would love for you to share this post on my 'fridays unfolded'linky tomorrow…now a follower!

blessings,

alison
    stuff and nonsense

4. Michelle says

Gosh….they look almost like the HIGH priced original and a perfect solution to the "other feet in my shoe" phobia I have.

5. ShannonSews says

Wow – I LOVE how your shoes turned out!! I never would have imagined they were a Goodwill find with a punch of creativity. Very, very cute!

6. Sarah @ Sarahndipities says

These are fantastic!! And I'm sooo with you on wearing thrifted shoes! That is such a fantastic idea!!

7. Craftberry Bush says

Gorgeous !! Can't wait for summer ! thanks for the great tut and for the party invite! xo
    Lucy

8. Jenny says

Cute! I love this idea, but I am funny about wearing pre-loved shoes as well. I will do it but they have to look, you know, somewhat clean. It's also hard for me to find shoes that fit and are comfortable anywhere, let alone a thrift store. Maybe I will look more carefully to see what they have at Goodwill next time we go! Or really, I wonder what I already have in my closet…

9. Brittany says

love your idea! I tried it out on 3 old pairs of shoes that I havent wore in years. And now they are super cute and very vintage looking! Thanks for the idea!

10. smashknits.com says

Just found this tutorial and cant't wait to try it out!! Another really nifty trick for covering up pre-used insoles (ewww) is cutting pretty, printed fabric with pinking sheers in the same outline as your shoes, and then glue it to foam for a lil' more cushioning! :)

11. Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust says

I love this creative idea AND re-purposing stuff from the thrift store. Great job! Thanks for the inspiration.

Warmly, Michelle

12. KJ@letsgoflyakite says

I can't believe you made these. I just saw Southern Fairy's shoes and came back over to see the original tutorial. What possibility! great job and your tutorial is very professional.

13. Lou says

YOU ARE THE MASTER!
    1st—Like the other readers, I too cringe at the thought of putting my foot in used shoe. But there have been so many shoes I would have taken home with me, had I seen your idea first. You have forever changed my life w/ the advise of “like-new” insole. **queue the choir of angels: “AHHHHH-LAY-LOU-YAH!!!”**
    2nd—YOU ARE one funny girl! I love how you have “modest toes”.. and you don’t like ‘ TOE CLEAVAGE”..— hee-lare-ree-us!!!
    Lastly— I am NOT a fan of the Anthropology shoe…the only good part is the bow! I t is a weird shape. But the way your mind refashioned these thrifty shoes: I AM AMAZED! I would pay big$$$ for YOUR version of the shoe.. and not even given the ’A’ shoe a second thought. And to think it only cost you 3 BUCKS!!!! Oh man I LOVE a great bargain!!!
    Now I’m all charged up, I can’t WAIT to go thrifting this weekend!!!

Thanks soo much… I’m off to see what other tutorials you have for me to be completely consumed with !! LUV YOUR BLOG!!!

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I
    provide credit and sources back to your site? My website is
    in the very same area of interest as yours and my users would genuinely benefit from some of the information you present here.

Please let me know if this alright with you. Thank you!