Ballerina Onesie {Salvage an old Onesie}

Don’t throw that stained onesie away!  There are many things you can do to cover up common “offenders” of onesies.  Old spit up stains, poopie “blow out” diaper stains (you mom’s know what I mean by this!) and the many other things that little ones can do to a common onesie!  This particular onesie had little stains at the top and at the bottom… I didn’t have a reason to get rid of it since I use the stained ones anyway, but I wanted to see if I could fix this one up a bit more since  it had been through 2 other girls and is about to go through 3!  Here is what I came up with, and I am sure that you all have some great ideas too… so if you have a link to a onesie “redo” please hook me up!

Supplies for the “ballerina” onesie
Old Onesie (Mine was newborn size)- preferably stains that are in areas easy to cover up!
ruffles or rosettes- found mine at Hobby Lobby- I used 1 yard which was “just enough” for the newborn size, so you will need more for a bigger size onesie  (it was 5.99 a yard, but I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby- they do this promotion a lot!)

Grosgrain Ribbon 7/8 inch
Thin Grosgrain Ribbon  (not sure the size, but any “thin” will do)
Needle/ Thread/ Sewing Machine

Time to get started!

First asses your onesie.. make note of where the stains are!
I made sure that my ruffles covered everything up except on the sleeves which I was going to get rid of anyway.
Now it’s time to start sewing!  The Zig Zig stitch works best- because this will need to stretch!    The pic below is what they looked like before adding them… notice that they are all placed on a tulle backing. Also I don’t have a picture of the grosgrain ribbon, but I just tied a long bow and attched it to the side of the onesie after putting on the rosettes. See that layer of tulle just under the rosettes???  That is where you will make your stitches.  If you need to secure the rosettes even more then take a needle and thread and make an X through the middle of each rosette- individually.  This ensures that the rosettes will still stretch with the rest of the onesie.
Hand stich the rosettes to the collar of the onesie.  After that cut the sleeves off just enough so that there is enough material to make a double roll on the inside.
Turn the onesie inside out and roll the sleeves back.  (notice that this pic is not a double roll!!!) I ended up using a double roll though- so make note!  From there just sew around to secure the roll.
After sewing tie a ribbon tightly around the top of the sleeves with a bow.  Be careful to allow enough room for the head to get through!
Now it is finished!!! You have a beautiful outfit out of an old onesie!  Also notice the headband that I made with the leftover scraps and some pantyhose… maybe the tutorial for that will be next! :)
Happy Creating!

Pin It

Join our free mailing list and never miss a post.

Comments

1. Amber says

This is so precious! My girls haven't been babies for a long time but I would have loved to have them wearing this. Great job. :)

~amber

2. Baker Family says

I LOVE this! It makes me want a baby girl!

I just gave you an award on my blog. Please come over and pick it up :)

Risa

3. Heather-Paper Princess Studios says

Oh my….this is fabulous!!! I am so going to make one (or two ;) for my lil sweet pea- Thanks for sharing…I LOVE it!

So cute! I love this! I have a question for you…I’ve used the same rosettes before and I got so frustrated trying to figure out how to sew then on I gave up and decided to use fabric glue. So my question is, how did you end up sewing them on? Did you sew over the rosettes, or is there a trick to it? Thanks!

• Rachel says

Hi Miriam! The rosettes that I have have a layer of tulle right underneath the rosettes… This is the part that I sewed onto the onesie- please use a zig zig stitch- it needs to stretch. If you feel like the rosettes need some re-enforcement then you can take your needle and thread and sew a little X right in the middle of each rosette separately. I didn’t find a need to do this, but if you give it away this might be helpful. This tutorial was made 2 years ago…lol… My daughter has since worn it and I made another just like it. The rosettes do fray, but I think it adds to the effect. Let me know if you have any more questions! Thanks!

LOVE it!

I will say, if you sew tiny hems a lot, getting a pressor foot for your sewing machine that folds & sews it for you is well worth the money. I paid $50 for mine, so it was a bit pricey, but to not have to put all those silly pins in hems…yes, SO worth it.

• Rachel says

Thanks for the suggestion! I have a really old machine, but maybe they make em still… I would love not having to pin all the time!

6. Becky says

This is really cute!! I LOVE that rosette trim and have used it multiple times for multiple projects, you can bet this will be my next one! :) Question: did you ever make a tutorial for the pantyhose headband? I looked through your tutorials and I didn’t see one, but maybe I missed it? I LOVE those types of headbands, but can’t seem to figure out how to make them. Thanks!! :)

• Rachel says

Thank you! I did not follow up with the headband… sorry- that was 2 years ago and i was 9 months pregnant..lol… I can just tell you though that it is very easy. I just took a pair of pink panty hose and cut off a leg. then i sewed the two ends together. I made mine about 13 inches around for a newborn. Then I just handstitched a few of the remaining rosettes where the seam was… then it was finished! hope that helps.. i know it’s better with a visual.

7. Tammy says

If I wanted to buy that trim online, what would I call it? I checked our Joann’s and they didn’t know what I was talking about.

8. Tracy says

I don’t even HAVE kids and that is just adorable! Just attended a baby shower and I wished I’d seen this sooner. Waaaay too cute….Pin’d ya, too Ü

1. [...] This girly-girl ballerina onesie looks like it would take hours of handstitching to create, but it’s actually pretty simple when you use rosette trim. Rachel from Bubbly Nature Creations shows how to do it.  She created the design to camouflage some stains, but it turned out so cute that I don’t know if I could wait for a onesie to get dirty to make one.  Get the tute. [...]